Our clever website thinks you're visiting from United States To shop in your local currency, click here. Close

survival of the filthiest

  • Posted by ade
  • 5 October 2010


Sunday the 3rd of October. Cardiff Central. Scott from the Cardigan shop (4th from the right) Ruben our web guru (3rd from the right), Nathan our finance man (at home in bed ill) and me (the one not in red) stood at the start of 11km of running and obstacles.

It had started as an office challenge a few months ago, and here we were.

Go. Scott and Ruben are over the first straw wall and gone. I'm over and down and running. Pick up Scott, he said bye and I'm off after Ruben.

He's nipped into the top 5 of our group and I am one of two lone chasers.

We cover 1KM and I am falling back slightly, but warming into the fun of it.

2 km and I am running in the slipstream of a huge guy who is breaking the headwind and I am reigning Ruben in.

We do a group of obstacles and the blood is now hot and I know that I can do this thing. I target the fast guy down the road and chase him down. At the turn in the course I look back and I have 100 yrds on Ruben, and no Scott.

Up and over slippery ramp, past the start line and out to empty skips, nets, rope swings, Monkey bars, 3 6ft walls, step ups and walk the plank over the next 3 KM.

Then nightmare. A queue to get up from under a bridge. Panic. Rubens coming.

Up the back and along the river to the Millennium stadium. Up and down 4 flights of stairs by the pitch which let's me check on my chasers. No Ruben.

Out the stadium to another queue. 5 minutes later Ruben joins me.

I am so frustrated that all effort it wasted.

We queue for 10 minutes upto a huge bouncy castle which we jump through and run to another 10 minute queue for an inflatable wall.

Ruben is over first and the first 2 minutes of chasing him down hurt due to legs that have cooled and are now on a restart.

I run in his footsteps. I try and over take to push the pace, but he takes the lead.

We are ploughing through the field now at a going home pace.

We get to the last obstacles which we clear and head to the last obstacle.

The 10 ft wall. It's time to dig deep and I was feeling strong.

By the time I had got to the wall any ability to get up it on the rope had gone, so I climbed the Russian bloke that everyone was climbing up and then pulled Ruben up.

Then my stupid competitive brain kicked back in and I am sprinting the 20 feet to the finish!

Great fun. Pity there was no lap 2.

We went to wait for Scott to come round to the wall. A few 10's of minutes later there he is looking muddy, dishevelled, tired and solo.

They man handled him over the wall and then the good old Scott smile shone out.

If you know Scott, this photo says it all.

Simon from Cardigan was also running in the wave that started before us.  Despite the queues, we had a great laugh.